Healthy IT Habits
As a Fully Managed client, your system is getting the best care there is – but keeping your network healthy is a team effort. Here are a few steps you can take to get the most out of your partnership with Computer Options.
- Log out of all workstations every evening.
- Leave your workstations on at all times (but feel free to turn off your screens).
- Make sure there is enough space for good air flow around each workstation.
- Reboot all workstations at least once per week.
- Keep your passwords safe and private, to prevent unauthorized access to your company’s information.
- All passwords should be at least 8 characters long and include letters, numbers and symbols.
- Each user should have their own username and password – never reveal your password to anyone except your IT manager.
Servers & Backups
- Do not store files on workstations – always save your work to a server.
- Do not use a server as a workstation.
- Make sure servers are always connected to a working battery backup (UPS).
- Where possible, servers should be in a physically secure location – preferably behind a locked door.
- Keep several backups, and rotate backup media.
- Store an offsite backup in a secure location – do not leave it in a car, briefcase, etc. any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Keep in touch
- When an employee is hired or leaves the company, inform us immediately so we can set up or disable their account.
- Don’t use shared logon accounts, unless there is a clear business need for them. Discuss the implications with us, and make sure you have our approval before sharing accounts.
- Consult us before purchasing new software, computers, printers, cellphones, and other equipment to make sure it will fit in with your existing computer network.
Click here to download this list as a PDF – perfect for your office wall.
Network Security 101: Recognizing spam emails
Spam emails continue to be a problem for businesses, and can sometimes carry viruses. To protect your network from suspicious emails, look for the following red flags:
- Subject line is ambiguous, or blank
- Content is very brief or missing entirely – it doesn’t follow usual communication rules
- Contains spelling and grammatical errors
- Requests you click a web link for further information (that might link to a virus)
- Requests or insists that you provide personal or financial information
- Insists that something terrible will happen if you don’t respond immediately
- The “From” field contains your email address
- The “To” field doesn’t actually contain your address – or it contains multiple addresses
- You don’t know the sender, or you didn’t request the information
- The sender’s email address is from another country (eg .eu = European Union, .uk = United Kingdom, .rn = Russia, .cn = China, .ca = Canada)
Images and attachments:
- It has a .zip file attachment – these are the most suspicious files, and can carry viruses
- The email appears to be from a respected company, but logos are missing or incorrect (just because there’s a logo, that doesn’t mean it’s safe!)
- The email contains an image instead of any text
- This email has many of the red flags from above: unknown sender from another country, an ambiguous subject line, little content, and a suspicious attachment that could contain a virus.
My favorite thing about Computer Options and their team is they are trustworthy. I’ve always seen them do the RIGHT thing for my clients and that is worth it’s weight in gold. – Michael Bremmer, Telecom Quotes, Inc., Connectivity Expert
Very professional and customer focused. Staff is competent and easy to work with. The company strives to provide proven infrastructure for our business needs. – Dick Larsen, San Bernardino County, Treasurer-Tax Collector (Ret.)
We have been working with Computer Options for many years. During that time they have provided timely advice, excellent customer service, and a dedication to our computer operations being reliable and up to date.We greatly value our relationship with them! – Jeff Sceranka, CEO, Enterprise Funding
We’ve been closely working with Computer Options for over 7 years now. Their dedication to superior customer service and their attention to detail is what really amazes us with Brad and his team. – Jose Alarcon, CEO, Versatel
Great Company! Responsive and Responsible. I have the highest regard for Brad, Bryan, Chris and the rest of the team at Computer Options, Inc. With extreme confidence we have worked together with CO on mutual client solutions, or have referred numerous clients of our own to CO for System Design, Hardware, Implementation or Managed Services. For professional solutions CO always comes through. A superior recommendation! – Gordon Campbell, CEO & Managing Member, Cybertime Network Communications
Great team, great skills, great communications! We highly recommend Computer Options for any outsource IT solution! – Ryan Gross, P.E., BCEE, SDA, General Manager, Running Springs Water District
Mesa Grande Academy has been working with Computer Options since the early 2000’s. From the installation of fiber optic and network infrastructure, to server support, to troubleshooting network issues, to planning for hardware installations and upgrades, Computer Options has handled every request we have asked of them with promptness, expertise and service value. We continue to rely on the IT technology services of Computer Options to keep our school digitally connected, and we recommend Computer Options for your IT needs. – Alfred J. Riddle, Principal, Mesa Grande Academy
Our business like most, is so dependent on our computers, that without them we cannot do business. We need an IT partner who we can always count on. Computer Options has been that partner for over 10 years. Responsive, proactive, dependable and knowledgeable. They’re the only IT company we recommend. – Mike Cheley, CEO, Graphtek Interactive
We have worked with Computer Options for more than 15 years, and during that time they have distinguished themselves as a knowledgeable technology partner. Their focus to detail and customer service make them a pleasure to work with, and their commitment to providing the best technical support available keep us coming back year after year. Computer Options is the only technology service provider that we trust to support our business clients. – Greg Whelan, Owner, Whelan BPI
Computer Options Staff is even tempered, well-mannered and very easy to work with. I have total confidence in their experience and trust that they will always have our best interest in mind when it comes to decision making and helping us stay within budget. – Jackie Mazzeo, GM, Regency Casino